We’ve worked extremely hard to build CarbonNOW in a way that’s different than anything on the market. So, we expect you to have a lot of questions. The good news is, we’re happy to answer them. We’re proud of our carbon farming program and the way we’re doing business with farmers around the country. Check out some of their most frequently asked questions below.
CarbonNOW has a very high eligibility rate because our biological products are approved as an additionality. This means that even if you have not historically been eligible for other programs (as a long-time cover cropper, practicing reduced tillage, etc.), you may be eligible for our program. We also welcome farmers who have already participated in CSP, Equip, or other Conservation programs, large landowners or land management companies, and growers/operators in transition of practice change implementation.
Our current CarbonNOW program is designed for row crop farmers. This includes corn, wheat/cereals, soybean, cover crops, cotton, and alfalfa.
CarbonNOW does not accept full-till/conventional-till growers if they are not willing to decrease their tillage.
To apply, growers will need to provide Locus AG with 5 years of historical management data on at least one crop rotation, field locations, and information about regenerative practice changes currently being utilized. This can be provided digitally or with hard copies.
The minimum acres needed to be considered for enrollment to the CarbonNOW program is 500 acres.
Producer must be guaranteed control of the leased land by the landowner for the duration of the four-year CarbonNOW contract, and must be able to provide supporting documentation.
We do both direct to grower and distribution. We are a small team – that’s our superpower – so we work with people who are in the industry.
There are no costs involved other than the purchase of Locus AG’s agricultural biologicals, and their use results in higher return on investment (ROI) per acre.
As long as you are not entirely conventional till, the only change you need to make is implementing a Locus AG biological. Locus AG biologicals are an approved practice change that is easily implemented into current practices.
We require a four-year commitment to start. However, we believe the increase you see in yields and ROI will make you want to stick around longer. After the first four years, you have the option to extend participation for 10 years or more.
CarbonNOW Data Collection
After you’ve supplied us with your initial program agreements and historical farm management data, you’re all set to get started. Moving forward, farmers are required to provide annual, year-end data. Locus AG carbon farming experts manage the rest of the process with minimal input and time commitment needed from you.
Soil organic carbon (SOC) and Bulk Density (BD) tests are taken every year, along with carbon modeling to get the full scope of data available. All of this is performed at no expense to you! Samples are taken at a 12-inch depth annually to provide a highly accurate carbon reading.
Locus AG utilizes third-party soil sampling partners for all soil samples. Locus AG handles all payments for your bulk density and soil organic carbon tests.
All data collected for CarbonNOW is confidential and will only be shared with Locus AG and our partners for carbon verification purposes.
CarbonNOW Payment Process
Yes. You are guaranteed annual per-acre payments, plus annual revenue sharing performance bonuses based on carbon credit offset sales.
Growers get paid twice annually. In the first year, we pay 75% of the annual payment after we’ve collected historic data and soil samples from your farm. The remaining 25% gets paid at year-end after data collection.
Performance bonuses are offered based on carbon sequestration data retrieved from the annual soil testing.
How Can Farmers Get Started?
To get started, simply fill out this eligibility form. A member of Locus AG’s CarbonNOW team will be in touch with you within two business days to determine program approval and next steps.
Demystify the Carbon Farming Market
10 essential questions to ask when considering a carbon farming program: